Call for papers
- português do Brasil
Access to quality knowledge and information is essential for the development of any society. Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia written collaboratively by its readers, aims to gather and make available, openly and free of charge, the sum of all human knowledge. There are more than 58 million articles, written by volunteers around the world, in 315 languages. The edition in Portuguese has more than 1 million articles and more than 10 thousand active users, and occupies the 12th place in the ranking of the most accessed sites in Brazil. It is thanks to the collaborative community, made up mostly of students (32.3%) and professors (11.9%), that all this content is openly available on the internet to be freely used, edited, copied and redistributed.
Wikipedia may be the best known, but it is not the only Wikimedia project. There are fifteen projects that share the same mission of being centers for building and sharing knowledge, producing quality information and content on the internet in a great movement of collective intelligence. This is such a rich, dynamic and diverse movement that it can only be conceived and carried out in a multidisciplinary way.
The idea of this book comes from the intention of celebrating the work and gathering stories about the trajectory of the people who have been protagonists in the development of Wikimedia in Brazil. It is a work that intends to be a collection of chapters authored by professors, researchers, professionals, Wikimedians and other enthusiasts of the Wikimedia Movement. The organisation of this book is also part of the tenth anniversary celebrations of Wiki Movimento Brasil.
Don't hesitate to send your contribution! Be bold ;)
Themes and scope of the book
This call is for practical and theoretical papers written by:
- Educators and researchers using Wikimedia platforms for educational and scientific purposes;
- GLAM institutions that use Wikimedia platforms as a space for disseminating collections and metadata, among others;
- Institutions, social organizations and collectives that contribute to filling knowledge gaps on Wikimedia platforms;
- Wiki partners involved with Wikimedia projects and activities; and
- Wikimedians in general and others interested in the subject.
This work will be published in print, with ISBN, by a university press (to be defined soon), and will also be made available online, under free license. The final edition may be divided into thematic sessions, according to the set of abstracts approved by the organisers.
Examples of topics of interest
We are interested in theoretical reflections and reports of practical work carried out in Brazil, which address and/or involve at least one of the 15 Wikimedia projects. For theoretical reflections, works from the perspective of all areas are welcome, such as anthropology, architecture, arts, cinema, communications, design, law, social, environmental and political sciences, cultural studies, linguistics, geography, history, urbanism, among others. Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
- The history of the Wikimedia Movement in Brazil;
- The history of Wiki Movimento Brasil;
- Wikipedia case studies in teaching information literacy;
- Student researchers on Wikipedia;
- Collaboration between Wikimedia user groups and academic library staff;
- Wikipedia student clubs and their connection to libraries;
- Benefits of academic libraries partnering with Wikimedia projects;
- The role of Wikimedians and/or Wikipedians in Residence;
- Collaboration with faculty of universities and colleges in the classroom;
- Pedagogy and practice of edit-a-thons;
- Description and analysis of institutional partnerships with Wikimedia in Brazil;
- The use of Wikimedia Projects for the production of open educational content;
- Wikipedia's fight against misinformation and "fake news";
- The use of Wikibooks in the classroom;
- Wikidata visualizations for education;
- The use of Wikimedia projects to broaden and diversify the audience for GLAM collections;
- Description and analysis of technological solutions in Wikimedia Projects;
- The potential of Wikimedia platforms for the dissemination of collections from GLAM institutions;
- GLAM partnerships or Education partnerships with Wiki Movimento Brasil;
- InterWikis projects and capabilities;
- The gaps in Wikipedia, such as gender (LGBTQ+), ethnic and racial, linguistic, regional and geographic diversities, etc.;
- Case studies on practices for retaining and engaging new users (students, volunteers, casual editors, etc.).
Only unpublished works whose authors have at least a master's degree will be accepted. Master's students, specialists and graduates can submit proposals in partnership with PhDs.
Key steps for authors:
- Abstract submission (between 5,000 and 10,000 characters) until March 13, 2023;
- Full text submission (between 45,000 and 55,000 characters) until June 20, 2023 (in cases where the abstract is approved).
In compliance with the Wiki Movimento Brasil Diversity Plan, this call aims to ensure diversity in the scope of the final work. Thus, the following criteria will be taken into account in the selection of abstracts: the representativeness of groups considered to be minorities excluded from Brazilian society, and the regional diversity of a continental country like Brazil.
There will be no charge by Wiki Movimento Brasil for the publication of works in the book. Neither the authors nor Wiki Movimento Brasil will be remunerated for the publication of this work.
Como a obra será publicada em licença livre, compatível com os projetos Wikimedia (CC-BY 4.0 e/ou CC-BY-SA 4.0), todas as informações e mídias utilizadas nos capítulos precisam necessariamente estar sob licenças compatíveis. Mais detalhes sobre o licenciamento serão abordados individualmente com as pessoas autoras após a primeira fase de seleção de propostas.
If you have any questions, we are available at amandajurnowmnobrasil.org.
Submission of abstracts
To participate in the book, interested parties must send an abstract of the chapter by March 13, 2023, to the email amandajurnowmnobrasil.org. Abstracts written in Portuguese and English will be accepted, but full texts must necessarily be unpublished and written in Portuguese. Together with the abstracts, it is necessary to send the names of the authors, with main education and institutional affiliation, and summarised CVs (no more than one page).
Para participar do livro, os interessados devem enviar um resumo do capítulo até o dia 26 de março de 2023
13 de março de 2023, para o email amandajurnowmnobrasil.org. Serão aceitos resumos escritos em português e em inglês, com a ressalva de que os textos completos devem necessariamente ser inéditos e escritos em português. Junto aos resumos, é preciso enviar nomes das pessoas autoras, com formação principal e vínculo institucional, e currículos resumidos (não mais que uma página).
- include a working title in bold (maximum 70 characters, including spaces);
- be written in Times New Roman 12 font, justified, single paragraph, 1.5 spacing, in ABNT format;
- indicate three to five keywords; and
- be between 5,000 and 10,000 characters long (including spaces, excluding references).
Abstracts are expected to present a precise description of the chapter to be written, with an indication of methodology and analysis, as well as preliminary results, if applicable.
Abstract evaluation criteria
The abstracts received will be evaluated by the book organisers, according to:
- Consistency of the proposal;
- Adequacy to authorship criteria;
- Compliance with the purpose of the book;
- Diversity of contributions; and
- Harmonic composition of the book as a whole.
Os resumos recebidos serão avaliados pelos organizadores da obra, de acordo com: Os resumos recebidos serão avaliados pelos organizadores da obra, de acordo com:
- Consistência da proposta;
- Adequação aos critérios de autoria;
- Conformidade com o objetivo do livro;
- Diversidade das contribuições; e
- Composição harmônica da obra como um todo.
The abstracts' review will be sent to the authors, by email, until March 20, 2023.
Submission of full texts
Authors will have until June 20, 2023 (three months) to submit the full texts of their chapters to the email amandajurnowmnobrasil.org.
Only texts received until 23:59 on June 20, 2023 (Brasília time), written in Portuguese, will be considered for evaluation. The texts must be unpublished and have between 45,000 and 55,000 characters (including spaces and references) and be formatted according to the norms NBR-10520/2002 and NBR-6023/2018 of ABNT.
More details about this stage will be informed by email to the approved authors.
Evaluation of full texts
The full texts of the chapters will be pre-evaluated by the book organisers and sent, with considerations, to invited reviewers.
All texts will undergo a sequential peer review process and will be evaluated by at least two reviewers each (in cases of disagreement, texts will be submitted to a third reviewer). The reviewers' evaluations will be anonymous, but the authors will not be anonymised in the process. This decision is based on the fact that these are very specific researches with easy-to-identify authorships.
The reviewers' evaluations on the chapters will be sent to the authors, by email, until August 22, 2023. Authors will have one (01) month to make the requested changes. The final texts, reviewed by the authors, must be sent by September 22, 2023 to the email amandajurnowmnobrasil.org.
A list with the titles and authors of the selected chapters will be published on this page on September 25, 2023.
Publisher evaluation stage
The final texts of the chapters will be forwarded to the University Publisher chosen for the publication of the book and will undergo its reviewing process.
Details about this stage will be informed once the publisher is decided. It is worth noting that, possibly, there will be a new round of evaluation with reviewers, by the publisher.
- December 19, 2022 - Opening call for abstracts
- March 13, 2023 - Deadline for receiving abstracts (send to the email amandajurnowmnobrasil.org)
- Between 5,000 and 10,000 characters (excluding references)
- March 20, 2023 - Communication of the organisers' evaluation on the proposed abstracts by email
- June 20, 2023 - Deadline for receiving full texts whose abstracts have been approved
- Between 45,000 and 55,000 characters (including references)
- From June 20 to August 20, 2023 - Conducting sequential peer review by guest reviewers
- August 22, 2023 - Deadline for emailing reviews to authors
- September 22, 2023 - Deadline for receiving texts reviewed by the authors
- September 25, 2023 - Publication of the titles and authors of the chapters selected for the book
The book is organised by Wiki Movimento Brasil (WMB), a non-profit Brazilian association, the only Brazilian affiliate recognised by the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF), which acts in the activation, coordination and social transformation in favor of open knowledge. Founded in 2013, the WMB seeks, among other objectives: to expand, qualify and diversify the content and the community in Wikimedia projects, especially Wikipedia; and support the work of social organisations in the open knowledge ecosystem.
João Alexandre Peschanski is the current Executive Director of Wiki Movimento Brasil. He is professor of Political Science at Faculdade Cásper Líbero and holds a degree in Social Sciences from the University of São Paulo (2004), part of which was carried out in a sandwich program at Harvard University (Graduate School of Arts and Sciences), and a degree in Social Communication from the Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (2001). He holds a master's degree in Political Science from the University of São Paulo (2007) and a PhD in Sociology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA). He is part of the Center for Research, Innovation and Scientific Dissemination in Neuromathematics (NeuroMat), at the University of São Paulo. He is a consultant on Brazilian politics and economics at the Coleman Research Group in the United States.
Amanda Chevtchouk Jurno is the current Education Manager at Wiki Movimento Brasil. She holds a PhD and a Master's degree in Communication from the Graduate Program in Communication at Federal University of Minas Gerais. She is bachelor in Communication with an emphasis in Journalism from the same university. She works as a teacher in lato sensu specialisation courses, mainly in disciplines related to scientific research and critical thinking about technologies. She is a researcher and member of the R-EST group – sociotechnical network studies, linked to the Graduate Program at the Federal University of Minas Gerais; and the Group of Artificial Intelligence and Arts (GAIA) linked to C4AI/InovaUSP.
Guest editorial board
- Carlos d'Andréa (Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais)
- Dalton Martins (Universidade de Brasília)
- Fernanda Campagnucci (Open Knowledge Brasil)
- Karina Menezes (Universidade Federal da Bahia)
- Marcio Eisencraft (Universidade de São Paulo)
- Rafael Grohmann (University of Toronto)
- Telma Sueli Pinto Johnson (Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora)
- Thaiane Moreira de Oliveira (Universidade Federal Fluminense)